Fermanagh Local Attractions – Devenish Island
Situated on Lower Lough Erne, just off Enniskillen and approximately 25 miles from Dulrush Fishing Lodge, Devenish Island is the most important one of the lough’s island church settlements.
Founded by Saint Molaise in the 6th Century, the settlement features a variety of ruins from different periods, including a small 12th Century church (St Molaise House) and a 100 ft (30 m) tall 12th Century Round Tower, which can be climbed by visitors via internal ladders to enjoy truly spectacular views from the top; a 13th Century church and an Augustinian Abbey (St Mary’s Priory, 15th/16th Century) with a small cloister, church and tower, as well as a graveyard with a very unusual and distinctive, intricately carved 15th Century stone cross.
The island can be accessed via boat tours (please contact Fermanagh Tourist Information Centre on: 028 6632 3110 for details) or by ferry from Trory Point. Detailed information on ferry operating times can be obtained from Castle Archdale Country Park on: 028 68621588 or Ferry Mobile on: 07702 052 873.
To confirm opening times and/or make arrangements for the island’s visitor centre & the Round Tower, please contact Castle Archdale Country Park on: 028 6862 1588.